- Harvard University, M.S., Health and Social Behavior, Student Award of Recognition
- Washington University,- B.A., Psychology, Student Body Vice President
- Foothill College, – A.S., Computer Science, GPA: 4.0
Summary of Qualifications
- Open web evangelist. UI engineer & prototyper. Hand-coded JS afficionado. CSS wiz. Accessibility advocate. W3C Specification interpreter. Standardista in name and code. Cat (and Engineer) herder. Extrovert.
- Technical author, editor, speaker, writer, blogger, and trainer.
- Authored, co-authored and contributed to 10 books, translated into 13 spoken languages.
- Web Developer with an emphasis on developing optimized, performant, usable, accessible, cross browser compatible, and mobile friendly sites and applications.
- Lead UI engineer responsible for creating information architecture, screen designs, UI specifications and pattern libraries, managing and mentoring other front end developers.
- Design and maintenance of e-commerce, small business and non-profit web sites, including graphic design, user experience design, logo development and business development.
- Project management, curriculum development, training and technical support.
- Mobile and RWD Development expert. Creator of the Clown car technique solution for responsive images, accessible input masking, and merry-go-round, the accessible carousel.
- Front end lead for several sites receiving 1M+ visitors/month.
- Experience developing sites and applications with most mid-tier programming languages.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Excellent relations with staff, clients and outside vendors.
- Construction, including hardwood floors, dry wall, painting, retaining walls, and plumbing. I don’t do electrical.
- Project Oversight: (6 years) development and management of proposals, contracts and budgets, contract compliance, project evaluations and report writing, including annual reports.
- Marketing and public relations: (5 years) including development and production of brochures, web site marketing, interfacing with community members and elected officials.
- Supervisory experience: (5 years) recruitment, hiring, training, supervision, retention, progress reports and corrective counseling for on-site and off-site staff. Subcontractor management.
- HR Administration: (5 years) benefits including health, dental, vision plans, retirement, COBRA, FMLA and disability. Exit interviews.
- Conference Organizing: (6 years) Recruitment of speakers, attendees, and sponsors. CFP writing and reviews. Speaker mentorship. Currently organizing PerfMattersConf.com, SFWebPerf Meetup and Seattle Performance Group
#PerfMatters Conference Manager of everything, 2017-current
Organizer of all aspects of #PerfMatters Conference, an international community web performance conference focused on diversity, inclusion, and kindness.
Mozilla Sr. Technical Writer, Community Organizer, 2018-2020
Technical writer for Mozilla Developer Network. Organizer of Hack on MDN events, where we teamed up with conferences for a day of MDN contributing by speakers and attendees, and follow up to build continued contributions.
Instart Logic, Sr. Manager Developer Evangelism, Staff Engineer, 2016 – 2018
Lead developer evangelism efforts at Instart Logic, a security and performance platform. Technical speaking and writing, SpeedPerception study, organize SFWebPerf group
Visa, Inc. Sr. Staff Software Engineer, 2015 – 2016
Standardista, Principal UI Engineer, Open Web Evangelist, Community manager, etc. 2000 – Current
- Selected Clients and Partners Agencies
- Frontend Masters 2012-current, Trainings and advanced CSS3 training video courses
- Gitpod, 2021-current. Front end dev using svelte. Pattern library.
- Samsung: 2011- 2013: Prototyping Phone and Television apps
- Apple / UniversalMind: 2010 – 2011: HTML5, CSS3 and JS for iAds
- GoldSpotMedia: 2011 – 2012: CSS3, JS and HTML5 for mobile web adss
- LiveGamer: 2009 – 2011: CSS3, HTML and JS for payment
- WebMocha: 2008-2009: Contract web development, including Shopiks
- CommunityMX: 2008 – 2011: Technical writing. Web development curricula, tutorials and articles.
- Blog: Standardista.com
- Speaking Engagements: See Conferences and Dates and presentations
- CSS: The Definitive Guide 4th edition, O’Reilly, expected 2017, Co-Author
- Flexbox in CSS: O’Reilly, May 2017
- Transitions and Animations in CSS: O’Reilly, April 2016
- HTML5 & CSS3 in The Real World, Sitepoint, 2nd Edition, April 2015, 1st Edition May 2011, Co-Author.
Translations: Russian, Korean, Chinese simplified, Czech, Spanish, German, and Thai.
- Mobile HTML5, O’Reilly, 2013, Author.
Translations: Dutch, Brazilian Portuguese, Polish, Chinese Complex, Korean, and Russian.
- Taming CSS Complexity, Clown Car Technique chapter.
- RWD: Solutions for Responsive Images, Clown Car Technique chapter.
- Web Performance Day Book, Volume 2, O’Reilly, 2012. Mobile Performance chapter.
- What’s New is CSS3? O’Reilly, 2012, Author.
- CSS Detective Guide, Peachpit, 2010, Technical Editor.
Uptake Networks, Sr. Software Engineer, Employee, 2008 – 2010
Engage, Senior Web Developer/Product Development, 2008
Yahoo! – Sr. Front End Engineer, 2005-2008
Tiburcio Vasquez Health Center, Director, Teen Health Center, 1999-2000
Managed teen health center and health education programming
Social Advocates for Youth, Administrative Director, 1997-1999
Coordinated social service and educational programming.
Girls Incorporated of Lynn, Project Director, 1995-1997
Coordinated teen activities and health promotion efforts in the city of Lynn, MA